Thursday, February 26, 2009

Man v. Man v. Food

That will be the title of the show when (okay, if) I become Adam Richman's sidekick.

Just in case you don't know what I'm talking about, Man v. Food is a show on Travel Channel. The concept is that the host, Adam, goes around the country and eats a lot. During the first part of the show he visits local restaurants, showing us their specialties and making the viewer seriously consider eating everything in their house, their neighbor's house, and possibly the family dog. Then, during the finale, he participates in a food challenge. You know, like eating 15 pepper burgers, or 12 plates of oysters, a steak as big as your ass, whatever. That's the fun part. Sometimes he completes the challenge, sometimes not, but it's always entertaining to watch and to wonder if you could do it.

Now, as far as the quantity challenges go, I'm pretty sure I could go toe to toe with Mr. Richman. The super spicy challenges I'd have a problem with at first. At one time I was a spicy food fanatic, but in the past couple of years I've kinda moved away from such things. I don't think it would take me long to get back on the habanero horse however (that's a lot of h words!).
I mean, I am the guy who invented "Col. Sheepdog's Killer Death Nazi Chili, which has literally hurt people and may possibly be illegal in some states. I'm also the guy who always orders the biggest steak and/or combo on the menu at any given restaurant. So I believe my credentials are good.

I figure that I could go on the show and co-host. We each present one local legend restaurant, and then go head to head (or stomach to stomach) on the challenge. Or hell, I'll just be the second banana, and Richman can still get the glory. I just want to be involved. After all, being paid to travel and eat is pretty much a dream job, and the fact that he gets paid to do it makes Adam Richman my new hero.

Alright, alright, I know I'll never get on the show, I'm just fascinated by it. I'm also shocked that I didn't come up with it. Except for the traveling part, that's pretty much me. I just don't have my expenses paid by T.V. bigwigs. So I won't get a show, but I do have a blog, so food reviews may be on their way. Or not.

Anyway, if you haven't watched the show you ought to. It's fun. For a review of the St. Louis show see my brother Derek's blog at http://www.derekbrink.wordpress.com. He does mention my love of the show in it, although his views of my goals are a touch off. I don't want to be the fattest man in the world, I just want to eat like him. One thing he was right about though, I did write about Man v. Food, I was just a day late. I also happen to be a dollar short, but that's a whole other thing.

No comments: