Thursday, September 24, 2009

Thank God For Earplugs...and Rock And Roll

Last night was the big show...Motorhead and Reverend Horton Heat at the Pageant theater, St. Louis MO. It was everything I expected and more.

The night got underway at 8:00 with opening act Nashville Pussy. I've never been what you'd call a fan, but I was big into the underground scene when they broke through. I'd seen them before and was less than impressed. However, last night's set was pretty cool. I'm not sure if it was my mood or the choice of songs or what, but I thought it was good. Not good enough to run out and buy all their CDs or anything but an enjoyable way to kick things off.

Next up was the Reverend Horton Heat. For those not in the know, the Rev. is a psychobilly artist combining the style of rockabilly with the swagger of punk rock with a little swing and country thrown in for good measure. During their set, the band hit on all these styles and managed to win over a crowd full of metalheads in the process. Onstage, the band is among the tightest and most entertaining units you'll see. From the excellent guitar work of the Rev. himself (real name Jim Heath), to the upright slap bass of Jimbo Wallace and the rock solid drumming of Paul Simmons it's always a good time at a Horton Heat show.

After their set, the Rev. announced he'd be at the "t-shirt place in a little bit". Well, that's all we needed to hear as my brother and I high-tailed it out to the annex of the theater where the merch is sold to meet the Rev. We waited patiently for him to arrive. And waited and waited. Then Motorhead started their set and he still wasn't there. About 3 songs into Motorhead's set he made good on his word and came in to meet the fans. Which was good, because I was about to give up on the guy and go back inside the venue. so while it bugged me not seeing some of my favorite Motorhead tunes, how often do you get to meet one of your favorite performers? So I got a photo snapped (not the best picture of either of us-no offense Derek, much thanks for snapping the cell phone pic), chatted for a few minutes and went back inside.

Me and The Rev.


Motorhead. Wow, what can I say? Motorhead is one of the classic bands in heavy rock. Part metal, part punk, all attitude, and it's all for real. Bandleader Ian "Lemmy" Kilmister is the personification of the rock and roll ethos. He is a walking middle finger to the establishment, a true original amongst all the fake rebellion of your so called rock stars. He is ugly, obnoxious, funny, slightly perverted, surprisingly intelligent, and above all a man who holds honesty and honor above all else. He's exactly what all true rockers wish they could be, except for the ugly part, 'cause dude, the guys just scary looking. And this is not a man crush, thank you, just appreciation of the real deal. I don't always agree with Lemmy's world views or even conduct, but I respect him, and I love his music.

Motorhead's music has been a constant in my life since the mid 80's. Whenever I need a dose of pure, straightforward rock n' roll a Motorhead record will always do the trick, and the live show is phenomenal. The music is intense, but also a lot of fun and a great way to release any built up stress and tension in your life. No matter what line up the band is using (and there have been many over the years) it's always worth seeing. In fact, Motorhead's regular drummer isn't on this tour due to a scheduling conflict and Matt Sorum (The Cult, Velvet Revolver, Guns N'Roses) is filling in. It was still awesome.

And LOUD. Good God it was LOUD. I mean, I've seen probably upwards of 200 concerts in my lifetime and this was possibly the loudest. I have seen Motorhead before, in clubs and theaters both, and they've always been loud but this was a whole new level. I decided to put earplugs in when I could hear the band perfectly well from the annex through heavy wooden doors. Once inside I could feel it in my chest, and that was just the between song chatter. Some songs literally hurt. At one point I decided to pull out the earplugs just to see what it was like, and all I could hear was a high pitched screech. So that's what it sounds like when your eardrum shuts down. Instant tinnitus. The earplugs went back in, and the show rocked hard.

Sometimes you look forward to a show and it's a little anti climactic, or just downright disappointing. And then there are nights like this one, where the music is great, you have as much fun as possible and leave with memories that will stay embedded in your brain forever. The kind of show that makes you feel ten feet tall and makes you believe in the power of rock and roll.

So, how was your Wednesday?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Post isn't showing up for me...

Dave said...

Should be up now. I hit the ol' enter button too early and published before it was written. Then I lost the whole thing and had to write it twice. Hope it's worth it.