Sunday, June 6, 2010

Ramblin' on and on

Haven't posted for a while so here's a bunch of stuff from my head to your eyes. No real rhyme or reason to this, just getting stuff down.

So the babies are home. It's been going pretty well, all things considered. They both have a little sickness, especially Melody with her double ear infection. Otherwise lots of sleeping, crying and pooping. Actually, the sleeping isn't quite where it needs to be. We're still trying to get the kids down to one feeding overnight, they currently get to bed about 11 and wake up at 2 a.m. and 4:30 a.m., or thereabouts. One of those has got to go-preferably the latter. At least they're basically on the same schedule, so it could be worse.

I'm currently watching a special on channel 9 on the "Great American Songbook". They just sang the song "A Pretty Girl Is Like A Melody". Caught my attention, but Melody slept through it. Earlier I watched a documentary on axes. Sunday T.V. is weird.

Valerie is looking quite good lately-giving birth is a fantastic weight loss program. I need to lose a lot of weight too. My lunch today was a braunschweiger and provolone sandwich with a side of Chips Ahoy. So I've clearly stopped caring what I put into my body, therefore the weight loss thing is a good idea. Too bad I hate exercise. Sooner or later I'll have to start chasing 3 kids around, I wonder if that counts.

Bought some new music recently. Here's some quick thoughts.

Stone Temple Pilots-self titled.
STP's first release in almost 10 years. Sounds good, great performances. Good songs, but not necessarily memorable ones. Scott Wieland's voice is chameleonic as ever-he does a great Bowie. It's been in constant rotation since I got it. Worth having, and grows on you a little each time you hear it. 4 out of 5 Daves.

Hank Williams III-The Rebel Within
I want to like this, I really do. There are some really good country songs here. So why does it put me to sleep? Seriously, I can't listen to this while I drive. This CD is the sound of a musician going through the motions. Not with the writing, but the performances. Everyone involved sounds like they were on quaaludes. Also, the metal screaming thing shows up here once or twice, and while it's worked for him in the past it sounds out of place here. This was made for i-tunes as the songs aren't bad, but the overall package is a bummer. 2 1/2 Daves.

The Black Keys-Brothers
The Black Keys play music that combines delta blues, indie rock, R&B and pop all while sounding as if they're playing through six inches of mud. Oh, and there are only two guys in the band, so this is what the White Stripes would sound like if they didn't suck. Early contender for CD of the year, the only real flaw is it's a little too long, and there's some goofy falsetto on a few songs. 4/12 Daves.

Speaking of goofy, Patterson gets this big dumb goofy grin on his face when he is content. It's funny and super cute. The babies are starting to get personalities and we are starting to see them come out in little ways. Melody still mostly screams and Patterson still mostly sleeps but they're getting there.

Sorry for rambling. Sorry if this was awful but it's all I've got right now. Be good, be safe, and don't let the zombies get ya.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Something to keep in mind on III's new record...it's his LAST one with Curb. I just found that out. Read an interview with him where he says he knows it's not as good as "Straight to Hell," but that he could have just as easily walked in and handed them 45 minutes of static and said "bye." Instead, he put together a record of songs that are both meant to reflect where he is right now and also raise a middle finger to Curb (hence the screamy "after 14 years, I'm finally mf-ing free" thing toward the end of the record). I agree that it's not a very memorable record...but that piece of information actually made me like it a little more than I did on my first couple of listens. Thought I'd share.

Anonymous said...

Also, part of your post showed up yellow again...seriously...how are you doing that?