Wednesday, October 28, 2009

Halloween Songs

I promised a Halloween movie post tonight, but scheduling conflicts have made it impossible to view some of the movies I planned on blogging about and I want to do this properly (even if it shows up in November!). So as a substitute, here's my idea for a Halloween playlist along with a few words about the selections. I'm doing it as I go along but I think it'll be fun.

DAVE'S HALLOWEEN PLAYLIST 2009

1. Science Fiction/Double Feature-The Rocky Horror Picture Show Soundtrack
-How else would it start? Fun mood-setter, and more socially acceptable than Sweet Transvestite.

2. The Number Of The Beast-Iron Maiden
-A classic song. Contrary to popular belief the band are not devil worshipers, they just throw in a little dark stuff in from time to time along with their history and literature based songs.

3. Welcome To My Nightmare-Alice Cooper
-The master of Shock Rock with one of his signature songs, and a quintessential tune for All Hallows Eve.

4. Halloween-Misfits
-The premier horror rock/punk band. Almost any song would do (Ghoul's Night Out and Skulls come into mind), as it's all required Halloween listening.

5. Fire-The Crazy World Of Arthur Brown
-Alice's predecessor. Freaky song, especially that intro.

6. Boris The Spider-The Who
-Creepy crawly. Also funny. Dig that voice from Entwhistle. Cool.

7. A Ghost To Most-Drive By Truckers
-Okay, so it's got nothing to do with scary, but there are ghosts and skeletons mentioned. Besides, any chance to get some DBT into a playlist.

8. The Legend Of Wooley Swamp-Charlie Daniels Band
-More of a true horror story than Devil Went Down To Georgia, but that one is certainly an acceptable alternate.

9. The Man Comes Around-Johnny Cash
-What's scarier than the Apocalypse and final judgement?

10. Night Prowler-AC/DC
-The scariest character on the Highway To Hell.

11. Nasty-The Damned
-A celebration of scary movies, and it was on The Young Ones T.V. show. Awesome.

12. My Girl Wants To Be A Zombie-The Briefs
-More great pop punk, and it's the only Zombie song I can think of that's not by Rob Zombie. Wow, that's a weird sentence.

13. Murder By Numbers-The Police
-Inside the mind of a killer. Surprisingly dark stuff.

14. Black Sabbath-Black Sabbath
-Genuinely creepy song, don't listen late at night with the lights off.

Okay, I think that's enough. There are certainly more I could list here but I think that's a good little mix of fun and slightly scary stuff. Maybe we'll do this again next year and I'll actually think it through next time.

And yes, I know that Monster Mash isn't listed. Too easy...and I'm sick of it before I even hear it. Sorry. Have fun with it if you gotta, but I'll stick to what's above. And Midnight Rambler by The Rolling Stones. That should've been on there too.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

...and that ELO tune with the backward voice and the "madness" thing in it.