Monday, February 23, 2009

What's Happening!!!

In the words of Ed Daly, here's what's what, what is, and what's happening.

1. Tessa is beginning to walk. She can move about three feet, if she's going between her mommy and me, and if we're sitting down on the floor while she's doing it. If one of us is standing, she loses her focus by looking up while trying to walk and falls on her butt. She falls a lot actually, stopping is not her strong point. Apparently walking at ten months is considered advanced, so that's cool. Now if she could only get those teeth to come in.

2. Valerie and I went to see "Slumdog Millionaire" on Friday night. We figured it was probably going to win Best Picture at The Oscars (which it did), so we thought we'd go see it. She had the same reaction most people did, and I had the opposite. For some reason I just didn't like it. It had all the right ingredients. Good script, decent acting, nice style, symbolism, unexpectedly violent, all that good stuff, and yet, it didn't come together for me. I should have liked it. I'm not sure why I didn't. I wouldn't deter anyone from seeing the film, but I'm not going to heap praise on it either. So I guess I'll give it two and a half Daves (on a scale of 1-5 Daves, of course).

3. Since I'm reviewing things, I also bought the new Bruce Springsteen CD called "Working On A Dream". Shoulda been working on the record. Okay, that's a little harsh, but I'm largely underwhelmed. Most of the lush organization on the record that everyone is talking about feels forced to me. I also think that most of the songs sound like they're not complete, like they went with the demo version and tacked on some strings. Don't get me wrong, there are a few quality tracks here, the title song is one, along with "My Lucky Day", "What Love Can Do", "Kingdom Of Days" and "The Wrestler" are all top notch. And I'm undecided on "Outlaw Pete". Everything else, though, just feels like they're on cruise control. Maybe it'll grow on me with a few more spins, but that's my first impression.

4. Also in music, the Drive-By Truckers have rescheduled some their St. Louis show due to Patterson Hood's (guitar, vocalist and main writer) illness. He passed out on stage last week, and has been diagnosed with walking pneumonia. I've never had it, but Valerie has and I can tell you it's not fun.

For the past couple of shows, the band played without him, as they have another front man in Mike Cooley (guitar, vocals, secondary writer). From all accounts they were pretty cool shows, and a part of me was kinda hoping for a DBC show here. It's not often that Cooley does solo shows, so this could have been special had it come to pass in St. Louis. I mean, it's a shame that those shows came about because of Hood's illness, but I'd have liked to see it.

The new date is March 28th, and I will be there as always to see the band flying on all cylinders with Cooley and Hood both in tow to bring The Rock Show like only they do.

5. I've contacted a few more clubs about getting some gigs for Blue Tattoo. I'll keep everyone posted.

6. Gold is really high and my job's really busy. I'm going to bed now.

Dave

P.S. Still messing around with my phone. I might actually have to start downloading from Napster. Horrors!

No comments: