Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Birthday Weekend

This post is a little late, but this is the first chance I've had to sit and type.

Last weekend was my birthday weekend. The celebration was two fold.

Saturday night we had the entire family (both sides) out to the house for some grilled meats, cake, ice cream and good old fashioned family bonding. So basically we ate a lot and passed babies around. Everyone seemed to enjoy the food, which is a nice compliment for yours truly. It was made known that I'm saving up for an ipod itouch, and donations would be appreciated. The gifts received were generous. Also got a graphic novel from my sister in law Elizabeth which I haven't read yet but will review here as soon as I get it done.

Then on Sunday (my actual birthday), I went on a road trip to Chicago with my brother to see the mighty Iron Maiden in concert. I've been a fan of the band since I was in 5th grade, 1983. My first Maiden concert was in 1988 (how'd that take so long?) and they are one of those bands that I'll see any chance I get, and I will buy any new release of theirs with no hesitation. Actually, I will buy pretty much anything with the words "Iron" and "Maiden" on it. Over the years I've had at least 12 t-shirts, multiple posters, at least 2 hats, a wallet, a jacket, buttons, books, and of course all of their albums on LP, cassette, CD and I even a downloaded song (something I almost never do). Iron Maiden is one of those bands that inspire fierce loyalty in their fans. Either you get it or you don't and it's okay if you don't. It just adds to our enjoyment.

So to see one of my all time favorite bands on my birthday was pretty cool. Although the weather was really hot. I mean, like, unbearably so, and I like hot Summer days. I don't even mind humidity...but this was just nuts. It was hot and sticky in the late afternoon/early evening, and when the sun went down, it got worse. As much as I love Maiden, about halfway through the show I just wanted to sit down and stop for a while. I couldn't help but notice that the band took slightly longer breaks in between songs as well, which meant singer Bruce Dickinson got to ramble on about whatever the hell it was he was talking about, I'm still not sure. I think the guys just needed to cool off for a few minutes.

The heat did nothing to decrease the performances, however. The band has just as much power and passion as they've ever had. In fact, I believe they sound better now than ever. These guys are full of energy as well. Dickinson, for example, is 51 and leaps about the stage, jumping all over the ramps and risers with an energy that rivals that of entertainers in their twenties. Steve Harris (bass) was all over the stage as well, and the rest of the band were all on top of their game.

Many have commented that the set list for this tour is too heavy on the newer material. Granted, it would have been great to hear some more of the classics, but the newer material is still top notch, and when delivered as well as it was, it's hard to argue with the decision. As with any band, every fan has songs they want to hear, and if I had my druthers I probably would have dropped two or three for some older songs as well. But I give credit to the band for sticking to their guns and doing sop much new stuff. Again, lots of old school fans are complaining, but as a fellow fan, I can't in good conscience do the same. I still follow the band, and am familiar with all the songs, because that's what a fan does. Otherwise, you're just a poser, and there's no room in my world for that.

One other brief point (too late!), the fan base for Iron Maiden seems to be getting steadily younger. I noticed lots of young teenagers at the show, at least 10 of them in the rows behind and in front of us. Youngsters rocking out next to receding hairlines and beer guts. That's pretty cool.

As for the rest of the trip, we stayed at a fairly nice Hilton Garden Inn hotel in Tinley Park. We ate at Rosie's diner just outside of Mokena Il. and had some really good hot dogs in a cool little neighborhood diner. The pickle made the dog. On the way back we saw pigs in a truck, an antique mall with a bunch of crazy crap on the lawn (pink elephant + spaceship = awesome), and laughed out loud about the Senator Paul Simon Freeway sign-it has a bow tie! A little rain and a little construction, but we made good time.

So, all in all, a great weekend. I got a little dehydrated at the show, my feet hurt for two days and I came home tired but it was all worth it. Thanks to everyone who came to the party. Thanks to my brother Derek for coming along. Big thanks to Valerie for letting me go and staying back with the twins. You're the best.

Up The Irons!

P.S.: Also on the bill was prog-metal band Dream Theater. One of my favorites from the early 90's, I stopped following them around 2003 or so, because I felt the material was getting weaker. Really good set though, makes me think I should check out some of what I missed.

No comments: