Monday, June 23, 2008

A Tribute To George Carlin

So as we all know, George Carlin died yesterday. George was a hero of mine. No, he is a hero of mine. From roughly 1992-2000 I was a semi-professional stand up comic. I did a lot of local shows and did a fair amount of road gigs as well. Carlin was probably my biggest influence in my writing and delivery. So all you bastards who said I was too wordy-blame him!

I believe I first discovered Carlin in my early teens on an HBO special, either "Carlin At Carnegie" or "Carlin On Campus", I can't remember. Apart from being amazingly funny, I was immediately struck with how smart his material was. Yes, it was dirty (a prerequisite for comedy in your teens), but it also was highly observational, confrontational and still goofy. From then on, any chance I had I rented the videotapes and listened to the records. They all made me laugh, and they made me think. In many ways, I was getting an education.

George taught me some important lessons. He taught me the power of words. If you have something to say, and a clever way of saying it, people will listen to you. It's just a matter of finding the most effective and eloquent way to say it-and profanity is okay as long as you use it properly and with purpose. The seven dirty words bit isn't just about cussing-it's about deconstructing language and the effect it can have on others. Weigh your words carefully, use them wisely, and make no apologies.

The other big lesson I got from George (I think he'd be okay with the first name thing) was a healthy mistrust of authority. The more I think about it, he probably did more to shape my attitudes about society than most of the rock bands I've listened to. Musicians like to scream about an unfair society and questioning authority, but George analyzed it, laid bare the hypocrisy, and ridiculed all of it. His was the voice I needed, and he always delivered.

During the later years of his career his attitude changed, as often happens in any art form. However, George didn't sell out or get soft-he got more hardcore. I have nothing but respect for this. His social commentary began to take over the comedy in the 90's and in the past few years it all but eclipsed it. Sure, it wasn't as funny but when I laughed I still laughed hard. George was honest and raw, and that can be uncomfortable to watch. For better or worse, he stuck to his guns and I love him for it.

A few years ago I got to see him perform. He was trying out new material for his next HBO special, ironically titled "Life Is Worth Losing". The show was hit and miss, but all George. Interestingly enough, the show I saw was much funnier than the special turned out to be, but that's how art works sometimes. In any case, I'm glad I was able to go.

I actually had a chance to see him around 1997 or so. Ralph Tetta, a fellow stand up, came in to do a set at Comedy Etc., my home club. Ralph was working for George at the time as an assistant. I remember him telling us stories about his travels with George over a late night Denny's breakfast (a staple of every comic's diet) and inviting the three or four of us who were there to come see the show the next day. It was a Sunday show in Columbia Missouri a few hours from St. Louis. Of course, none of us took him up on it and we all kicked ourselves for miss sing the opportunity to meet an icon. Someday I'll do a blog on all those missed chances and it'll be long too.

I will always love George Carlin. I'll always need to hear him talk about needing a place for his stuff, people he can do without, why he worships the sun, dirty words, dogs and cats, and close with the perfect cheer. In tribute to his passing, I'll be putting up the "Carlin Quote Of The Week" in each blog I do for a while (and they'll actually be his quotes, unlike some sites on the net!). As the first quote, I've chosen some helpful advice:

"We're all fucked. It helps to remember that."

I literally couldn't have said it better. Rest In Peace George.

1 comment:

Jonco said...

Dave,
Nice post on George Carlin. I too think he was one of the greatest funny men around and he shaped the careers or many up and coming comedians. I also think that his comedy changed when became TOO political in the early 90's. I've seen him two or three times and his least funny was the last time I saw him at the Westport Playhouse. He gave an almost completely politcal performance that evening. I guess I was disappointed because I wanted him to entertain me and not necessarily try to influence my political views.
But regardless of that performance, I still think he is one of the leaders in the comedy field. He had a way of not only perfectly presenting a joke or comment, but making you think about it.. and that made it even funnier.
Anyway, keep up the good work.

Jonco