Monday, June 22, 2009

'Nother Update Post.

I've been meaning to update for a while now, but have been super busy here lately, so here's a quick update.

1. My great Aunt Stella had a stroke about two weeks ago. At first the doctors gave her only a fifty per cent chance of even surviving the surgery to stop the bleeding. Fortunately for all she made it through as well as can be expected. Apparently she's had a setback a few days ago but I didn't hear much info on it so I'm assuming it's a minor one.

For those who might not know, Stella lives in Arkansas with her two sisters, and she pretty much looks after them. Marge, the oldest, has been suffering from Parkinson's for years, and her twin, Clara is losing bone density (also her hearing). Stella is the only one who can drive and to the best of my knowledge the one bringing most of the money into the house through benefits. There are some other family members nearby who can help out for the next 6-8 weeks while Stella's in recovery and longer if need be. Still, trying times indeed.

This news all came out of nowhere, and was a shock to the system. When my brother called and asked if I'd heard the latest family news, I'd assumed Marge was gravely ill, but when he said Stella I was almost speechless. In fact I was surprised by how gutted I was. I'll be the first to admit that I don't do enough to stay in touch with that side of the family, but I love them all dearly. Just thought that needed to be said.

2. We have officially moved back into the basement. The regrading of the yard seems to have worked--no leaks! So we've moved all our furniture back into the basement family room, and even rearranged a bit. So the leaking is gone, but while mowing the yard tonight I found three new rabbit holes. They won't leave me alone, it's like I'm their king or something. Wow, what a lame thing to be king of. Even if I built myself a giant rabbit army, how far could I get? Oh sure, I'd be rolling in produce, but that's about it. Anyway, I need to fix this problem soon as one of the holes is in the regraded part of the yard, right by the house, where the leaks were. Ah, the joys of home ownership.

3. Father's Day was yesterday. I got some nice new t-shirts (black, white and maroon-useful and always in style), and I also got new cds by Tinted Windows ans Silversun Pickups. Valerie made me an awesome card and took dictation from Tessa as to what was written inside. The girl loves me more than cheese, which is good as cheese is just about her favorite food on the planet. Although we just introduced chocolate so that might change. All in all, a good day. And I got my cake!

That's pretty much the main points of the last few weeks. More soon. As always, thanks for your patience and for reading. Love ya!

P.S. The Father's Day/cake thing will never stop being funny to me. You'll suffer through it every year. I'm not sorry.

No comments: