Thursday, December 17, 2009

Have Yourself A Groovy Little Christmas

Hi. My name's Dave and I'm a Christmas Music addict. I'm not proud of it, but I am. Eleven months out of the year I'm a musical elitist, focusing on rock and roll (all types), outlaw country and whatever else comes my way that's got some integrity to it. But round about the end of November I spaz out and get lost in fa-la-la-la-la-la land. Fortunately my wife does the same thing so we're all good over here at the Brink household.

Between the two of us, Valerie and I have amassed roughly 40 different Christmas CDs, and we're not done yet. Of course, some get played more than others as we each have our favorites. Which got me thinking...what are my all time favorite Christmas songs? An almost impossible question, as there are only a handful I don't like. Besides, favorites change year to year.

So I can't make a list of favorites (not an honest one anyway) but I can make a playlist. Now, I've made many Christmas comps over the years, most of which have the same title mentioned above. I'm not doing one this year (just did some last year and I need more new stuff to choose from until I do another), but if I were to make one tonight here's what it would be.

1.Step Into Christmas-Elton John
2.It's The Most Wonderful Time Of The Year-Andy Williams
3.Holly Jolly Christmas-Burl Ives
4.Sleigh Ride-The Ronettes
5.Silent Night-Elvin Bishop
6.Please Come Home For Christmas-Pat Benatar
7.Fairytale Of New York-The Pogues w/Christy MacColl
8.Christmas Is Coming-The Payolas
9.It's Beginning To Look A Lot Like Christmas-Perry Como and the Fontane Sisters
10.Jingle Bells-Frank Sinatra
11.Home For The Holidays-Perry Como
12.God Rest Ye Merry Gentlemen-Th' Legendary Shack Shakers
13.Here Comes Santa Claus-The Mills Bothers
14.Run, Run Rudolph-Dave Edmunds
15.Happy X-Mas (War Is Over)-The Alarm
16.I'll Be Home For Christmas-Aimee Mann
17.Silver Bells-Dean Martin
18.O Come All Ye Faithful-Nat King Cole
19.Have Yourself A Merry Little Christmas-Robert Goulet
20.The Christmas Song-Tony Bennett

And put that sucker on repeat.

I know, there's lots of cool stuff I missed. And I used some odd versions there, but I stand by them all. Y'know now that I think about it, these might be my favorites. Well, at least for right now. I guess I could've put some more country songs on "Pretty Paper" springs to mind...and one of those Rev. Horton Heat songs would be cool...maybe The Kinks...okay see, that's how it works. I could do this for hours. So let's just leave it how it is for now, okay? There's always next year.

Feliz Navidad!

Damn, forgot that one too.

No comments: