Thursday, January 14, 2010

66th Post

Hello and welcome to my 66th post. How do you like it so far? Strong opening I think, but the rest has just been filler.

So what do I have to talk about? Well, let's see...

Still getting things ready for the twins. We were given a whole bag of sheets, clothes and what not from one of Valerie's co-workers. We also now have two cribs in their room. They don't match at all, one is wood and one is wood-ish, but they're here. Everything is going well so far, so all prayers and good thoughts sent our way are still appreciated.

Speaking of prayers and good wishes, what a horror scene in Haiti. Just terrible. Many people are sending money, which is great. But I'd like to send water. From what I hear there is almost no access to water in most areas, people are drinking from puddles, sewers, whatever they can find and have no idea if the water is clean or not. Bad enough, right? Now, add into that all the dead and decomposing bodies lying literally everywhere. At this point the danger is minimal from the bodies, but if it rains, which it's bound to sooner or later, the water situation is exponentially worse. Once I figure out how to send water I'll let y'all know. Otherwise it's Red Cross time.

Okay, now let's really get random.

Just so you know...I'm on team CoCo.

Does Mark McGuire actually think that anyone believed he wasn't on steroids? Even at the time people should have known it-the guy's arms looked like tree trunks. So now he's made a "confession" that we all knew about, and then immediately back tracked and claimed that the steroids didn't help him beat the home run record. Okay, so why'd you take them? Because, maybe...you're lying? Again? And you know what's most upsetting? I hate baseball and it still ticks me off.

Saw "Inglorious Basterds" yesterday. Great movie. Now, having said that, many people won't like that the movie plays with history. As Brad Pitt said, the movie is set in World War II, it's not about World War II. Normally I'd agree with the criticism, but I enjoyed this movie enough that I'll let it go. And yes the violence is pretty graphic, but there's not nearly as much of it as one would expect. As with all of Tatantino's work (which in fairness I'm not always a fan of) there is a dark sense of humor at work here, and a lot of playing with conventions. I mean, really, a David Bowie song? In 1945? Actually that kinda makes sense in a weird way.

Anyway, here's what makes the movie so good. First, it's just incredibly well done. The drama is intense, the humor biting and the action scenes gripping. The sets and costumes are top notch. Plus, each and every actor is great for their roles...all the way across the board. I especially liked that the Germans spoke German, and the French spoke French, only switching to English when absolutely necessary. And if Cristoph Waltz doesn't win the Oscar for Best Supporting Actor (or actor for that matter) something is even more seriously wrong with Hollywood than we thought. Yes, he's that good and you should see it for his performance alone.

Oh yeah, and "The African Queen" finally comes to DVD in March. About time.

BOLD SPORTS PREDICTION: The Jets go to the Super Bowl. Remember, I said "bold" not "smart". Also remember I told you so.

That's it.

No comments: