Sunday, March 28, 2010

Not A Concert Review

In my last post I mentioned that I would be putting up a review of the Black Rebel Motorcycle Club concert. Turns out I didn't go. I was supposed to attend with my brother, but he got sick and couldn't make it. This left me with the option of going by myself but I didn't want to be that guy. You know the guy, look around at any show and you'll see him. He'll be standing at the back of the venue, drinking a beer and clutching a t-shirt, looking around for a familiar face (in vain). He'll go down front when the band is on, and he'll get lost in the crowd. But he'll never feel completely comfortable and it won't change the patheticness of being alone at a concert. It's kind of like being a teenager and going to a party with a friend where you don't know anyone. Then your friend disappears for hours. You may still have a good time with the music and food and all, and you'll find a way to be included in the festivities, but it's never comfortable.....

Now, I've been that guy before. I've seen some great concerts as that guy, like David Bowie/Nine Inch Nails, The Damned, Alice Cooper, The Supersuckers and Tower Of Power to name a few. However, at this point in my life I don't really need to do that anymore. I've seen plenty of shows, so it's just not necessary, unless of course, it's a "can't miss" show or one of my all time favorite bands. B.R.M.C. doesn't qualify. Not that they aren't great, and I know from their live CD that the show would have been really good...I just didn't feel like being that guy on that night. I'd already been home, had dinner and put my daughter to bed. Going back out to a concert just didn't appeal anymore.

So what did I do? I went to Wal-Mart. I bought 2 liter sodas, milk, cookies, and a Who CD. It looked like I was throwing a bad party. The Who CD is a new compilation called "Greatest Hits Live". And that's what it is. the band released a live compilation exclusive to the fan club a few years ago that I was somewhat disappointed with, but this one is much better. Disc one is all the original band doing their thing so you know it's good. disc two is interesting...the first half is recordings from the 1989 "big band" tour. I've always complained that this tour gets glossed over in retrospectives but it's represented well here (some would say too well). The remaining songs are from the last few tours-a few with Enthwistle and some with the latest line-up. But it all sounds good. Well worth it-and I didn't have to join a poorly run fan club.

So there you go. Otherwise, we've been buying stuff for the babies and to get ready for the babies which I'll cover next time.

No comments: