Thursday, April 8, 2010

Babies And Stuff

I've been meaning to post for a while now, but I'm just so busy lately that every time I get a few minutes at night I'm too tired to bother with typing. I'm here now though, so I'll try to catch up.

There has been a lot of work done around the house in anticipation of the twins. So far we have purchased furniture (a rocking chair for their room, a new kitchen cabinet unit to make more storage space, and an awesome new couch with hide a bed), a new mini-van (2009 Town & Country, very nice, practical and powder blue. My inner punk rocker just kicked himself.), and lots of stuff. I mean, baby stuff. Clothes, diapers, room decorations, etc. So we are in the process of getting the house ready. Some days it looks a little like a disaster area, but things are moving along. Besides, with three small children the house will never be clean again, so unless there are at least four people coming over as company I'm not sweating it.

Now, with time as limited as it is, we've been feeling the crunch and been a bit overwhelmed. Up until just this past Tuesday, we were thinking we had about 3-4 weeks. However, our children are doing splendidly. They are both healthy and strong, and Valerie's health is doing just fine. She's tired a lot, but that's to be expected. So now Valerie's doctor, who is the queen of the worrriers and tends to err on the side of caution almost to a fault, has had a change of heart. She now believes that we can keep the kids in longer since everything is going so well. The timetable has shifted from 3-4 weeks to 3-6 weeks, which takes us from a target date of May 4th to May 21st. Don't worry Derek, your birthday is still safe.

Of course, this could all change. After the next ultrasound in two weeks we'll probably have a better idea. Valerie's seeing doctors weekly as is, with check-ups and non stress tests and whatever else they do with pregnant ladies. Right now the boy is bigger than the girl, which is fine, but if he gets too big or she doesn't get big enough, the doctor might take the twins out early. If, God forbid, Valerie's blood pressure gets too high or she becomes too weak or gets sick they'd probably come early too. Or Valerie could just go into labor early, as far as that goes.

The bottom line is we're not really sure when things will happen yet, but everyone wants what's best for the babies. Obviously the longer they stay in the healthier they'll be. So we're fine with the twins staying in as long as they need to. It will help them grow, it will give us a little more time to get things ready, and if I'm lucky it just might free me up to go see Pearl Jam. That's a low priority over my family of course, and is a decision that would be made close to or on the day of the concert, but it'd be cool.*

In other news, Tessa's birthday is coming up. She'll be two years old, and her entire world is about to change. That's both good and bad, so we're going to try to give her a very cool birthday this year. We've got an idea for a big gift for her which would involve yours truly putting stuff together and a toddler sized structure for the back yard. Again, that's both good and bad, but she'd love it and in another two years her siblings can share so I think it's worth it. Wow, I just realized I'm trying to hint around the gift as though she could read this-I guess I'm used to spelling it around the girl. So nobody tell her about the s-l-i-d-e. Especially if she doesn't get it, 'cause that'd just be mean.

Okay, gonna wrap this up. Talk to you later.

*About that concert, I also need to figure in that Rush is coming in August and I'm pretty sure I can make that one, so it depends on when tickets are on sale for that if I can see PJ or not...and also there's my Chicago Iron Maiden road trip...and I think I'm going to try and start some sort of continuation of the band with my brother...lots going on music-wise as well.

No comments: