Monday, September 6, 2010

Labor Day Round Up

I'd mentioned before that I had lots of plans for Labor Day. I also have two twin babies. Therefore, not a lot got done. Here's what I did do, in no particular order.

1. Watched the MDA Telethon. Mostly. Actually, this was the first year in a long time that I slept through at least as much of it as I watched. Again, twins.

2. Got my hair cut. Severely. As promised, I'm conducting an experiment to see if I can get down to two haircuts a year. We'll see. When I cut my hair super short like this, I never fail to be surprised by how German I look. I tend to focus on my Irish heritage, but there's a strong German streak there as well, and right now you can really see it. I'm also still trying to get the beard to look right. When I first got it cut, the beard looked really long, and looked shaggy and unkempt. Not like terrorist levels or anything, but not good. The trouble is, when it gets too short it just looks pathetic. Oh well.

3. Went to the in laws on Saturday for a family get together. Played catch with the kids, by which I mean I caught them as they flew off the elevated slide in Granddad's back yard. Not as easy as it sounds, a little too late on my part and it's flat on the face and crying. We really had to enforce the taking turns rule to the point where I wound up scheduling the order. That was Tessa's fault-in her excitement she went down the slide too early-when I had just caught her cousin Abby, who wound up on her butt and was not happy about it. But she was okay, so it's all good. Also Melody peed on her Aunt, which she will never live down.

4. Went to Vintage Vinyl on Friday night with my brother. Did a little "crate digging" through the used L.P. section. Wound up with four records for ten bucks...not too shabby. It's probably a good thing I don't live very close to Vintage anymore or I'd do nothing but spend money there. Now if I'd only hook up that turntable in the basement I could play 'em. One of those things I meant to accomplish this weekend I'm afraid.

5. Spent time with the family. That's the best thing about actually having a normal weekend off for once. I already feel like I don't get enough family time some days so it's nice to have that. Sure, the kids can drive me crazy when they all act up simultaneously but there's more to it than that, fortunately. Apart from playing with Tessa at her Grandparent's house I took her shopping with me, did a little reading with her and made up some stories together at bed time. I was also able to connect a little more with the babies, even getting Melody to begin repeating sounds after me. So even though it's a lot of work having three kids and they take away a lot of my time and most of my energy, it's all worth it.

So all in all, a good weekend. Back at work tomorrow like the rest of you. Hope it goes well for us all.

Until next time, remember: Don't pick at it, you'll only make it worse.

No comments: